ABC News reported that a baby boy died after he ate a laundry detergent pod. His mother, who was a resident at a battered women’s shelter, left the pods in the laundry basket, which was on the bed for a brief moment. And the child was asleep; when she came back, she was shocked to see the child chewing the pod. The child was rushed to the hospital where he died.
A recent study says that, during the two year research period, about 17,000 kids who were younger than 6 years old, were exposed to the highly concentrated chemicals, either by swallowing, inhaling or otherwise somehow exposed to these chemicals. The exposure can lead to any of these symptoms, vomiting, coughing, choking, eye pain, irritation, drowsiness, red eye or sometimes even death.
The young kids are very curious, and explore their environments by putting anything that their little hands could afford, into their mouth. The pods are small, colorful, resemble a candy or juice, and are sure to attract the little one’s attention.
The scientists say that, parents of young kids should use traditional detergents which are less toxic. And for the general population, keep the laundry detergent pods, out of sight in closed cabinets, put them away after immediate use, and save the emergency helpline number, in your mobile or stick it near your landline.