Are you planning to go in for hair extensions to inject life, fullness, and length into your sad looking locks? Be known that the health hazards of this beauty treatment outweigh its rewards.
“There are people who use hair extensions without complaint. But extensions add excess weight, pulling on the hair, which can lead to damage to the hair follicles,” Dr. Orly Avitzur Medical Advisor for Consumer Reports tells ABC News.
Hair extensions may cause patchy hair loss, blinding headaches and sometimes permanent damage. The procedure may cost anywhere between a couple of hundred dollars to several thousand.
Experts warn you to make sure whether the stylist attaches extensions using a method that is suitable for your hair type. You may develop problems if the hair extensions are connected too tightly or weigh too much.
The weight and the tension combine and place a strain on your hair follicles. This combined action causes your follicles to stretch out which results in hair loss.
The above process is known as Traction Alopecia, which causes permanent damage to hair follicles and prevents hair regrowth.
Hair extension cautions you to need to know about
- Get professional help.
- Make sure you have the right texture and color
- Always use good quality hair extensions. You need to have the human hair extensions tailored for you. Check whether it looks natural, authentic and lived-in.
- Using a silk bonnet or silk pillowcase at night will protect your hair from dryness and breakage.
- Beware of weaving the extensions too tight. You can get long-term damage or hair loss.
- Avoid putting chemicals on your hair; it will increase the hair fall.
- Treat and nourish your hair with hot oil treatments. You can apply virgin coconut oil to keep your locks lustrous and healthy.
- Get educated about using hair extensions and do it safely and smartly.